Our Downtown Athens, GA Hotel’s
City Information & Links
Looking for information about Athens, Georgia? We’ve pulled together some handy city information regarding our local government, ordinances, and transportation options. Of course, we’re always pleased to answer any specific questions you may have; give us a call at 706.549.7020.
Getting Around Town
There are plenty of good ways to get around town. Athens Transit and UGA Campus Transit operate bus routes from the new Multi-Modal Transportation Center on Broad Street behind The Classic Center. Athens is small enough to encourage walking and bicycling, but it is hilly.
There are several parking decks downtown and along the perimeter of the UGA campus. For street parking, don’t forget to feed your meter during weekday business hours before 6 p.m. (You’ve been warned.) Call ahead for local taxi service. For more details, see our transportation page.
What to Wear
We’re not fussy here. Casual attire rules for most places and most activities. A light jacket or sweater for cooler evenings is in order in fall and spring. A mid-weight jacket should suffice for all but a few winter cold snaps. Athens typically will see only a day or two with snow or ice each year.
There’s no getting around it; summers in Athens are hot! Shorts can comfortably be worn April through October.
Sales tax in Athens-Clarke County is 7%. Hotel-Motel tax is an additional 7%.
Staying on the Right Side of the Law
- Don’t light up indoors in a public place, or in a public park for that matter.
- Don’t walk around with an open container of alcohol, even on game days.
- Watch those red lights! Some intersections have cameras.
- A handy flyer describing local ordinances that will keep you on the right side of the law.
Important Phone Numbers
- Athens-Clarke Police
- Athens Convention and Visitors Bureau
706.357.4430 | 800.653.0603
- Classic Center convention center
706.208.0900 | 800.918.6393\
- Directory Assistance
- Hospital: Athens Regional Medical Center
- Hospital: St. Mary’s Health Care System
- Time and Temperature
- Tourist Information: Athens Welcome Center
706.353.1820 | 866.455.1820
- University of Georgia Directory Assistance
- University of Georgia Police
- University of Georgia Sports Tickets